New groups are always exciting because it means there are more idols to spazz about and drool over. If you look back on the past six months, you’ll notice that so many new groups made their debut this year, but which ones really stood out? Check out the 5 rookie debuts that I thought were the most eye-catching of 2012…so far in no particular order!
1. B.A.P - Leader Bang Yong Guk had already stirred much attention in 2011 with his feature in Song Jieun’s “Going Crazy” and his “I Remember” single featuring Beast’s Yang Yo Seob so when they announced that he was part of a new boy group, there was a lot of hype. They caught even more attention when Yong Guk and his fellow member Zelo debuted as a sub-unit group called Bang&Zelo. Zelo sure caught much attention for his young age and crazy, super rapping skills. And finally, after many impressive teasers, B.A.P landed on earth and convinced fans they were aliens on a mission to invade earth and save their planet. Their debut single “Warrior” left a strong impression because they were so different and versatile. They aren’t your typical pretty-boy idol group; they have such a tough, manly, bad-boy image and are full of charisma and potential that all girls go crazy over.
2. EXO - Okay, seriously, if SM Entertainment’s twenty-three teasers of EXO did not catch your eye, I don’t know what will. Being a group of twelve split into two sub-groups, Exo-K and Exo-M, earned not only a Korean fan base but also a Chinese one as well. With so many teasers and cute guys on the line, how could they not catch fan girls’ hearts during their debut? Their debut single “Mama” reached to the top of many music charts within a day. Impressive much? And I think the most special thing about EXO is how the fans love both sub-groups equally, and how within the group, fans have formed so many OTPs for the members, as I have seen on Tumblr. Which members do you ship together?
3. BtoB - BtoB stands for Born to Beat and I was excited for them because they debuted under Cube Entertainment, the same company as Beast, G.NA, and 4 Minute. I really enjoyed their debut song “Insane” because it just sounded so so so good! It was catchy and I love how their rappers can not only rap but sing as well. Their music video was also great and if I didn’t know, I wouldn’t have guessed they were rookies! I hope to see more from them soon.
4. NU’EST - NU’EST is Pledis Entertainment’s first boy group so they were quite special, especially since they are under the same label as After School and Son Dam Bi. They debuted with a super catchy, addicting and highly anticipated single titled “Face” that charmed many girls with their dancing and good looks. Member Ren was also pretty eye-catching since he looked super feminine and pretty! I don’t know about you, but their ages were highly eye-catching to me because it turns out I’m a noona to 4 out of the 5 members. I’m pretty sure they are what people call jailbait.
5. SPICA - Finally, girl group SPICA! Before even debuting, the girls individually already impressed netizens with their pre-debut work. Their debut wasn’t the typical cutesy, pink, girly thing you would expect. They were different and unique. Their debut single “Russian Roulette” was powerful and their voices are beautiful if you ask me. They have individuality, talent, and they’re absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait to see what else they bring to the world of K-pop!
Which rookie group of 2012 so far was the most eye-catching to you?